Monday 23 November 2009

Nightmare coming true..

Read an article on BBC's website on how a man who was thought being in a coma for 23 years was actually conscious all along!!!! Oh my God. Imagine being conscious about everything that happens around you, but not able to notify anyone that you are alive. That you can hear everything that is being said around you. That you are actually 'just' paralysed and not unconscious and in a coma at all. That you live just like everyone else - but you can not tell anyone.

The Belgian man, Rom Houben, was injured in a car crash 23 years ago and ever since family and friends have been told by doctors that he has been in a coma - until the discovery was made that he was not. He says that he 'dreamt the time away' - which I find absolutely amazing - in a very weird kind of way. If something similar would happen to me I don't know how I would be able to survive isolated in my body, trapped with my own voice echoing in my head.. Living dead, that's what it feels like..

Obviously I can't say what I would feel, but the thought alone on this happening is worse than any nightmares dreamt at night...

No comments: