Thursday 26 November 2009

Guest lecturer - Steve Power, Wave 105


Instead of one of the usual Thursday lectures, we were accompanied by Steve Power from Wave 105. It's always interesting to hear from someone who has got experience in the profession I'm aiming to get into myself, this does not only giving me more knowledge about the profession itself, but also inspires me to actually get there - eventually.

Steve has been working for yearrrrrrrs within the media, even before I was born, and he happily chatted away about his breakfast show, collegues, scripts, audiences, balance between private life and work and so on. It all sounds very interesting, and the more I hear and learn about radio and what is actually going on in the studio and its surroundings, the more I appreciate my choice in doing a journalism degree. I will now start pester all the studios nearby Andover and make sure that I can get as much experience out of it as possible while still at university. Hopefully, this will be additional experience for me that I can scribble down on a future CV when I go out to tackle life after uni in a battle for a 'real job'.

Even though lectures in themselves are important and most of the time interesting, it's always a nice change to hear someone else who doesn't usually exist within your university world. The same thing applies to the guest editors we've got in on Wednesdays when we work our butts off to get our live edition of WINOL ready for 5pm. This way you do not only learn more, but also want to prove what you can do to a completely new face.

More guest lecturers/editors to the universities!!

No comments: