Tuesday 24 November 2009

Caught in the middle

Half drifting of to sleep, as usual, on the bus to Winchester this morning, a huge amount of police cars and ambulances woke me up - and finally me and the bus were caught in the middle of a massive traffic accident. In front of us emergency services were piling up to take care of a female who was caught in a car after a crash. A couple of years ago, when I wasn't introduced to the journalistic way of thinking in life, I would probably have stayed in my seat, curiously leaned over trying to get an idea of what was going on outside, leaning back and sighing because of me being delayed to wherever I was going. This was not the case today. As soon as I heard the sirens and saw the flashing blue light my mind thought - hang on a minute, this must be news! So, I contacted my news editor James and told him what was going on. At the same time I was running around in the bus, asking students - who couldn't care less - if someone had a video camera, a still camera, anything! No luck there.. Eventually I managed to find out what road the accident took place on, and we were able to send out a Colin and Stu to battle for some facts and pictures. Turned out to be harder than I could imagine due to police press officer, no press pass and so on...

It is weird how things can change. And what is even weirder is the way I felt when I realised something was going on. I mean, it is absolutely terrible, the worst thing basically that can happen to another human being. Still, my adrenaline was buzzing around in my body, my mind were trying to think of what to do next to be able to get information from the situation and how to get any further with the little bits of knowledge of real time, breaking news kind of situations. It was an experience, and I do not know if we will be able to use the material for our bulletin tomorrow at 5pm, but hopefully we can.

It was a strange kind of cool feeling - very hard to explain - to be the one with the information, to actually being the one letting someone else know what's going on that very second and actually feeling like what I did was the right thing. Anyway, very strange day, compared to my usual news/interviews/editing days, but oh so exciting.

News happens, and WINOL is here to report - the buzz of life

Over and out
Buzz buzz

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are now officially an ambulance chaser!!!!
With experience you learn to split the emotional and professional parts of your brain! Comes to us all, no matter what walk of life.
Remember 'firstly do no harm' x

Madeleine Klippel said...

Haha yeah, I guess I am ;) It was a very weird feeling, but like you say, with time and experience the pieces will probably fall together and it will be easier to handle the feelings.. After all, this was the first time - and there's a first time for everything:) x

And thanks for your comment!