Tuesday 26 January 2010

Burns Night - or a drunken toast

After such a lovely toast, it's only right to say
Thank you lads, it makes us glad, you think of us this way

As we, know the times have changed, there can't be any doubt
Girls are from Venus, boys from Mars, and now the truth will out

Games and boxers scattered around, and mates who stay too late
Empty beer cans stacked up high, we've learnt to tolerate

When you leave the toilet seat up, it grates, we can't deny
And when you say you cannot cook, we wish you'd at least bloody try

And when we want our comfort snack, it's nowhere to be seen
Cause someone made a chocolate raid, which tends to make us 'mean'

But worst of all you cannot seem, to get into your head
My birthday is important too, forget again, you're dead

But when it all is said and done, we couldn't live without
Our laddies, who adore us so, we know this, there's no doubt

So raise your glasses nice and high, and toast the ones we hold dear
Annoying bastards one and all, but deserving of a cheer

---


Last night I had the opportunity to for the first time in my life participate as my local pub celebrated the Scottish poet Robert Burns. When I and R decided to join in with the locals in the festivities, I did not expect the landlord to ask me to toast the laddies in a speech that follows the lads speech to the lassies, the ladies. Since I did not know anything about this event I had to do quite a lot of research to grasp what this event would be like, and therefore know how to set my speech up. A bit cheeky and naughty as I am, I wanted to put a modern twist to great poetry and the above toast is the outcome. Written by me - and I never thought I would have anything to give in poetry, but at least it looks like I can rhyme.

I had a brilliant night, and it was a great experience. Toasts and speech will most likely follow me through life, as I enjoy being in the middle of everything that happens in my surroundings - hence why my aim is to be a journalist. So with great opportunities to be in the limelight for a minute or two like this, I can teach from mistakes and scribble down something even better next time.

To the laddies!

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

A nice one...=)

Chris Horrie said...

Rabbie Burns - my favourite of his is Parcel of Rogues - when the English bribed the Scottish parliament to give up their freedom and become part of the "United Kingdom" - I think a similar trick was one played on Sweden by Denmark - or was it the other way round!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ncizeO2jk